This is one of the things that we regularly use the slow cooker for. Why I haven’t put this up here is beyond me. It’s like we have something else on our mind… 🙂
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oatmeal
- 1 pinch salt
- dried fruit and nuts – whatever is on hand
- 2-3 tablespoons flavourful honey (optional, but use your imagination)
- In a 4-cup glass measuring jug, stir together the water, milk, steel-cut oatmeal and salt. Place in a large slow-cooker, add enough cold water to come halfway up the side of the jug (less is fine, because there’s so little evaporation with a slow-cooker), switch on “low” and go to bed.
- In the morning, stir in the almond butter and honey. There will be a tablespoon’s worth of grain clumped together at the bottom of the glass jug; it is fully cooked, though, and needs only to be mixed in. Serve. You’ll have a halo of warmth around you for the rest of the morning.