A tasty treat that will last a while.
- 6 large onions (3-4 pounds; Vidalia, if available)
- 2-3 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- water mister (optional)
- slow cooker / crock-pot
- Peel onions and cut them into thin slices; you should have about 6 cups (exact amount is not crucial, though).
- Mist the inside of the ceramic insert for the slow cooker, place onions in cooker and drizzle the oil over the slices.
- Cover and cook on high 10-12 hours, until the onions caramelize.
- They will have a deep brown color.
Leftover caramelized onions may be refrigerated, covered, up to a week or two. They may be frozen up to 6 months.
Makes 3 cups.