In honor of Diwali we made this tonight.
Katte Pongali Recipe
Prep & Cooking: 20 mts
Serves 4-5 persons
- 3/4 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup split yellow moong dal/pesara pappu
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 green chilies, slit
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 10-12 fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp whole black pepper/miriyalu/kali mirch
- pinch of asafoetida/inguva/hing
- salt to taste
- 3 cups of water
- 10-12 cashewnuts lightly toasted in ghee till golden brown
- Wash the rice and dal and keep aside.
- Meanwhile in a heavy bottomed vessel or pot, heat ghee. Add the cumin seeds, let them splutter and turn slightly brown. Add the curry leaves, green chilies, black pepper corns, asafoetida and ginger and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the drained rice and dal and mix with spices and fry for a few seconds.
- Add water and salt and pressure cook till the rice and dal are cooked and soft. If cooking over stove top, bring water to a boil, reduce flame and place lid. Cook till the water is completely absorbed and the Pongal is cooked.
- Garnish with fried cashwenuts and serve Pongali warm.
aka Pongal / pongul