A salad recipe we use for traveling (eats well luke warm) and for quick make-ahead meals.
- 2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 2C broth + 2 cups water (or 4 C water)
- One large cucumber or two small ones (about 2 cups). Thin skinned varieties preferable
- One large bunch radishes, sliced thin with a mandolin (2 cups, about 10 radishes)
- ¾ cup red onion, chopped small
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4-5 oz feta cheese, cut in small cubes
- ½ cup or more chopped capers
- 1 tbs preserved lemon, chopped finely. Alternately, try grating some lemon zest into the salad
- 1 tbs each fresh oregano, thyme, and parsley, or according to taste
- Salt and pepper
- corn (if we have it)
- Rinse quinoa for 2 minutes in strainer. This removes the coating which makes it tasty bitter or soapy. (more info)
- Put the quinoa, water and broth together and bring to a boil. Simmer 15 minutes. Watch the heat on this as it will absorb all of the water.
- Take off of heat, keep it mostly covered, but allow some steam to escape, for 5 minutes.
- Open up cover and let quinoa cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix chopped vegetables, herbs, cheese.
- Toss with cooked quinoa and drizzle on the dressing (taste while adding dressing and stop when you’ve reached the desired level of saturation).
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup apple cider or white wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl whisk mustard and vinegar until smooth.
- Slowly add oil while whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
with some help from http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-quinoa-63344