A standard in our house. What does our daughter first do when she stars playing pretend? Cook. What does she cook? Chapati and tikka masala sauce. Now serving chai as well.
adapted from http://indianfood.about.com/od/chickendishes/r/chcktikkamasala.htm and http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-tikka-masala/
- 2-4 garlic cloves (enough for 1T)
- 3T lime juice
- 2# skinless chicken (3 breasts?)
- 1C yogurt
- 2t cumin
- 1t garam masala
- 1-2t cayenne
- 1t black pepper
- 2″ ginger (enough for 1-2T)
- almond paste?
- set up plastic bag for chicken and wash area for hands and what-not.
- chop and grind or grate ginger and garlic into paste
- finely chop onion
- debone chicken if need be, and chop into large pieces and place in bag
- put yogurt, spices and aromatics (garlic, ginger, onion) into bag.
- marinade for an hour to 8 hours in a plastic bag
This is from a Food52 article with lentil cakes:
- 1/2 yellow onion, small dice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- canola oil